7/12/2009

Safe Society and Green Effects

While staying in Tokyo metro area last spring, I didn’t have to have my own car to go out. There were so well developed public transportation systems including trains, subways, buses and taxies.
What amazed me was those public transportations utilize high tech energy efficiency devices.
When I took a big public bus, I noticed the bus shut down and re-started engine automatically at each stop sign.

Besides, I could walk by myself anywhere even at night time without having fears for safety.

I think the safety of the society is a very important element of reducing usage of private cars and gas.
I can’t go out without taking my own car not only because I don’t have well connected public transportation system in my area but also I don’t feel safe to walk even in my own hometown in the U.S.
I have several experiences that I was followed by strangers at parking lots while I was getting back to my car alone. To take my own car is a safety method for me that I have not been able to give up.

Can we make the U.S. is much safer place to live so that we can walk anywhere without having fears?

No comments:

Post a Comment