7/06/2009

Starting Honey Bee Friendly Garden





While staying in Japan last May, it was a serious issue that the population of honey bees has been decreasing.
After coming back to the U.S., I saw an advertisement regarding the honey bee crisis placed by Haagen Dazs Ice Cream.

I started to pay attention whether or not I would be able to see more bees in my garden.
With the honey bee friendly garden instruction by the Haagen Dazs, I planted marigolds and cosmoses. There seems to be some snails or insects in my garden which love to eat their leaves. Especially, marigolds have troubles to survive after they lost their leaves.

Unexpectedly, I saw many bees flying around the clovers in my front yard today.
Could it be a honey bee friendly garden to have wild clovers?
I wonder if I could help to provide honey bee friendly garden not only with making a new flower garden but also with preserving wild clovers in my garden.

By the way, my new finding while staying in Japan was Japanese honey tasted differently from honey in the U.S. To me, the Japanese honey seemed to have lovely violet fragrance. That was a happy surprise in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment