7/07/2009

Lavenders in Bloom



Town of Furano in Hokkaido, Japan is famous for their lavenders.
I wonder if I could grow lavenders in my garden well as the climate in Furano might be similar to the one in Colorado.
I read a lot of books regarding lavenders and planted 4 British lavenders in my garden 3 years before.
I chose the British lavenders as their fragrance seemed to be the best.
Last summer, they didn’t look so great.
This summer, they grew into much established bushes and have been in bloom.

I am happy to see several bees are busy with flying around my lavenders.

Besides providing honey bee friendly garden with lavenders, I am going to enjoy lavenders for myself.
With making lavender saches for closets, I will stop using moth balls.
It will be lovely to wear clothing with lavender fragrance!

4 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm sure you'll do well with your lavenders - the climate in the UK is fairly cold and wet (though not as cold as the Hokkaido winters) and our bushes have thrived (in spite of near total neglect!). You might be interested in this article about someone who has set up a pick your own lavender patch in Derbyshire (in the north of England)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/jul/04/hotel-review-lavender-patch-derbyshire. Also you can make lavender ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi myfuroshiki,

    Thank you very much for letting me know the lavender patch. I checked the site and was just WOW to see the numbers of lavenders. The patch must be heavenly with full of lavender fragrance. I just love the lavender fragrance so much. I have never tasted lavender ice cream. Is it a common ice cream flavor in England? I will look for the receipt and try. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hiroko, Here's a recipe for honey and lavender icecream which you might like; I haven't tried it yet myself but it looks fairly simple - hope it tastes good!

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article4416407.ece

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mich,

    Thank you very much for the info. I am curious other recipes on the website as well as lavender icecream. To me, they look like very "English" and new to me. It will be fun to have an English party with my girl friends!
    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete