7/03/2009

Peony Bushes



Several years before, I read a newspaper article regarding a Japanese non-profit group which helped China to grow trees in order to stop an expanding desert.
What they did was to fly above the desert and dropped several kinds of seeds of trees from the sky to the desert. The expert said if the trees’ nature fitted with the climate of the desert, they could grow there and would make a native forest.

With this reading in mind, I have been trying to figure out what kinds of flowers and trees could be happy with growing in my garden.
This early summer, I was so happy to see 2 peony bushes that I had planted about 3 years before could give me flowers.
They are very low maintenance and look very healthy.

In Japan, peony trees are classified as “Botan” while peony bushes are classified as “Shakuyaku”. Peony trees can have much bigger flowers than peony bushes. I have not been able to find any peony tree roots available at any nurseries in my area.
What good to have peony bushes is to be able to divide them into multiple bushes after they mature.

My new finding regarding peonies is peonies can survive in very humid climate as well as very dry climate. Their flowers look very delicate but they seem to be one of very tough plants to survive in multiple weather conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment